Water Services

Water Services at the Region of Waterloo is responsible for supplying clean, safe drinking water to the cities of Cambridge, Kitchener and Waterloo and the townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich.

Water service in this area is a two-tier system. Water from the ground and the Grand River is treated to drinking water standards for the local municipalities. 

Kitchener, Cambridge, Waterloo, Wilmot and Woolwich take it from there;  their pipes deliver treated water to residents' homes, businesses and industry.  They are responsible for metering and billing for their customers. North Dumfries and Wellesley townships are the exception: the Region distributes water directly to them.

The Region of Waterloo owns 13 wastewater treatment facilities, all of which are operated by the Ontario Clean Water Agency (OCWA). The agency is a crown corporation contracted to operate, maintain and manage the Region's wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations and rural wastewater collection systems in North Dumfries and Wellesley.

Why drink tap water?

Waterloo Region's municipal tap water is safe and clean to drink, a great value for your money, and a convenient and environmentally friendly choice. Learn more about Region of Waterloo tap water programs including the Water Wagon.

Master Plans and Projects

To see the master plans and for information on major water projects currently underway, please click on this link. 

For the Water Efficiency Master Plan, click here.

For the Wastewater Master Plan, click here.


For the 2014 Water and Wastewater Monitoring Report, click here

For the 2013 Water and Wastewater Monitoring Report, click here

For the 2013 Water and Wastewater Monitoring Report Addendumclick here 

For information on the Water Conservation By-law, which takes effect from May 31 each year, please click here.

Environmental Records Search - Phase 1 Requests

Requests for information to complete Phase 1 property assessments are subject to a cost of $150 per property.  Click here for the Environmental Records Search application form.