The Region of Waterloo is committed to embracing environmental considerations in all of its decisions. Clean air, water, land, green spaces and sensitive environmental features are important to ensuring Waterloo Region stays healthy, sustainable and liveable.
As an organization the Region is committed to reducing its environmental footprint as well as enabling residents and businesses to do the same with its programs and services.Some of these programs and services include:
Communicating our progress: On-line public reporting software
As part of our commitment to greener choices, we are significantly reducing the number of printed materials to report on the progress of our Region of Waterloo Environmental Sustainability Strategy.
An on-line tool has been developed for monitoring and communicating progress on the Region's commitment to Environmental Sustainability Strategy. The web-based tool provides detailed and summary information about each of the actions in written and graphic formats (where available) illustrating progress made towards our Strategic Objectives and Focus Areas.
Community Environmental Fund 2014
The Community Environmental Fund (CEF) was established to support community-based environmental initiatives. The CEF assists community members and organizations who wish to carry out projects that protect, promote, and enhance our natural environment.
Five priority themes exist within our Environmental Sustainability Strategy:
- Air and energy: To effectively use and manage energy resources and reduce greenhouse gases and other air emissions from Regional activities.
- Land: To manage and shape land use to ensure a liveable, healthy and sustainable Waterloo region.
- Sustainability culture: To foster stewardship of the natural environment and encourage behaviours to reduce environmental impact.
- Waste: To reduce the amount of waste requiring landfill and the demand and impact on natural resources.
- Water: to protect the quality and quantity of our water resources.
Thank you to everyone who has applied. Results of the 2014 Community Environmental Fund can be found online. Stay tuned for the Community Environmental Fund 2015. Applications will be available near the end of this year.