Heritage Planning Advisory Committee
The Heritage Planning Advisory Committee was established in 1994 to advise the Region on heritage policies, issues and strategies.
Advises Waterloo Region's Commissioner of Planning, Housing and Community Services on Regional heritage issues
Gathers information, such as identifying locally significant heritage resources, and comments on development plans that affect these resources
Assists in the development and implementation of Regional heritage policies and strategies
Helps promote Regional heritage by increasing public awareness of local history
Collaborates with local post-secondary institutions and other heritage organizations
See the Committee Terms of Reference for more details on vision and duties.
- Identifying Regionally significant heritage resources
- Heritage bridge recognition and promotion
- Scenic Road Corridor Resources Document
- Educational resources for schools and heritage property owners
- Cultural heritage landscapes
- Intensification and stable neighbourhoods
- Heritage tax incentives
Agendas & Minutes
To see recent committee agendas and minutes, click here. For older documents, please contact the Regional Clerk's Office or call 519-575-4400.
Heritage Advisory Committee Members
All members must be residents of Waterloo Region. Appointed by Regional Council, they are chosen for their interest and experience with natural and built heritage. Current members include:
- Jean Haalboom, Regional Councillor
- Natalie Hardacre, Kitchener
- Ron Hackett, Wellesley
- Marg Rowell, Wilmot
- Al Junker, Wilmot
- Wendy Cascaden, Waterloo
- Elizabeth Waters Heinrichs, Kitchener
- Carolyn Coakley, Wilmot
- Terrence Gallamore, Woolwich
- Karen Oddson, Friends of the Waterloo Region Museum
- Barbara Wallace, Friends of the Joseph Schneider Haus
For more information on the Heritage Planning Advisory Committee, please contact Kate Hagerman, Cultural Heritage Principal Planner, at 519-575-4100, ext. 4094 or by email.