From the September 17, 2014 Regional Council meeting:
Council Info is a summary of discussion and the major items presented at Council meetings. It is circulated immediately following each meeting. You are encouraged to quote from and copy this information. Please refer to the minutes for an official record of the meeting. Watch the Regional Council webcast.
Council approves new child care funding model
Council approved a new approach to funding for licensed early learning and child care (ELCC) centres in Waterloo Region. As service manager, the Region will distribute base operating funding to ELCC operators along with four incentive grants to support high quality operating standards. In 2015, the incentive grants will be based on:
Road improvements for Manitou Drive
- Paying Registered Early Childhood Educators (RECEs) a minimum hourly rate of $15
- Program is achieving required standards in Raising the Bar on Quality
- 70 per cent of staff working with children are RECEs (as opposed to untrained staff)
- Program scores 80 per cent or higher during the annual licensing review
Council approved the recommended design alternative for improvements to Manitou Drive between Homer Watson Boulevard and Bleams Road in Kitchener. This section of Manitou Drive is in need of reconstruction to replace the deteriorated pavement surface. As part of the reconstruction, Council approved reserved cycling lanes on both sides of Manitou Drive from Homer Watson Boulevard to Bleams Road.
OneList Waterloo Region
The Region will continue its agreement with RBB Innovations for the use of OneList Waterloo Region at an annual cost of $68,505. OneList is an online centralized registration and waitlist management system that provides a single point for parents to register for all licensed early learning and child care programs and before and after school care program through local school boards. The Region will also purchase a module that integrates with OneList and provides an electronic way to process applications submitted through the system.
The following tenders/contracts were approved by Council:
For further information, contact:
- $417,120.00 R.E. Poisson Engineering Inc., to provide engineering services for the detailed design and services during the construction of the Heidelberg Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrades in the Township of Woolwich.
- $386,920.95 to WalterFedy to provide consulting engineering services for preliminary design, detailed design, construction contract administration and construction inspection for the Dundas Street improvement from Hespeler Road to Elgin Street in the City of Cambridge.
- $183,343.84 to INIT Innovations for variable message signs for the ION Adapted Bus Rapid Transit (aBRT) project in Cambridge.
- $175,405 to Enseicom Ltd. for 18 additional transit shelters for a total contract price of $713,606 (for 64 transit shelters in total). The additional shelters are required for the new iXpress route along Maple Grove Road and local service along Langs Drive in Cambridge. Shelters are expected to be installed by January 2015.
- $168,031.61 to Selectra Inc. for motorized valve chamber MV3 upgrades to a watermain along Fischer-Hallman Road in Kitchener.
- $156,887.85 to Xylem Water Solutions for the purchase of a submersible pump for the Hidden Valley Low Lift Pumping Station.
Wed., Oct. 8, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Bryan Stortz, Director, Corporate Communications, 519-575-4408
Or the Regional Clerk's Office, 519-575-4420