From the August 19, 2015 Regional Council meeting:
Council Info is a summary of discussion and the major items presented at Council meetings. It is circulated immediately following each meeting. You are encouraged to quote from and copy this information. Please refer to the minutes for an official record of the meeting. Watch the Regional Council webcast
Elizabeth Clarke appointed to Regional Council
Regional Council appointed Elizabeth Clarke to fill the Kitchener vacancy on Regional Council. Ms. Clarke placed 5th in the recent municipal elections for the Kitchener Regional Council seats and has agreed to accept the appointment.
Council approves one-time grant to Shalom Counselling
Council approved a one-time capital grant of $25,000 to Shalom Counselling Services, a professional counselling organization in Waterloo. They are one of seven agencies that provide counselling at no cost to people in receipt of Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program payments. Requests have continued to increase leading to a much needed expansion project that will cost $1.2 million total.
Ambulance response time targets
Council approved ambulance response time targets for 2016. The targets, which are the same as those in 2015, range from response times of six minutes for sudden cardiac arrest, to 12 minutes for patients needing less urgent medical care. These targets will be submitted to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Services agreements to include all extended day programs
The Region of Waterloo's current service agreements with the Waterloo Region District School Board and the Waterloo Catholic District School Board will be amended to incorporate all school sites offering extended day programs effective September 2015. These before and after school programs are for children ages four to 12 and are administered directly through the school boards or through a third party.
Cambridge Christian School funding contract approved
Council approved a funding contract with Cambridge Christian Preschool in Cambridge as part of a provincial child care wage enhancement initiative. This initiative aims to close the wage gap between registered early childhood educators working in the publicly funded education system and those in the licensed child care sector.
Healthy Kids Community Challenge
With funding from the province, Public Health will partner with our local municipalities to implement the Healthy Kids Community Challenge. This program will address childhood obesity by focusing on two key themes: healthy eating and physical activity. A three-year provincial grant of $1.125 million will support programming and staffing costs.
Affordable rental housing projects to receive funding
Council approved the recommended priority projects for new affordable rental housing as part of the Investment in Affordable Housing program (2014 extension). The Region received 14 project proposals and selected seven that most fully met the requirements. Funding for the approved projects will go to: Kitchener Housing Inc., YWCA of Kitchener-Waterloo, Elmira Development Support Corporation, MennoHomes Inc., Heartwood Place, Supportive Housing of Waterloo, and Home Concept Property Management.
The following tenders/contracts were approved by Council:
Wed., Sept. 23, 2015
at 7 p.m.
For further information, contact:
- $25,693,962.12 to Maple Reinders Constructors Ltd. and Ball Construction (joint venture) for construction of tertiary treatment and New Outfall Contract 4 at the Kitchener Wastewater Treatment Plant in the City of Kitchener.
- $2,854,983.00 to Bestco Constriction Ltd. for Galt Wastewater Treatment Plant - Plant B Secondary Clarifier Mechanism Replacements in the City of Cambridge.
- $1,113,228.60 to JB Construction Management Corporation for 150 Main Street, parking area rehabilitation.
- $796,628.00 to Stone Town Construction Limited for Cambridge Landfill Gas Control Plant upgrades at the Cambridge Waste Management Facility.
- $796,900.00 to Jacques Daoust Coatings Management Inc. for recoating of Mannheim east Standpipe, Mannheim Water Treatment Plant in Kitchener.
- $695,000.00 to Dean-Lane Contractors Inc. for Upgrades at the Pinebush, Shades Mill and Turnbull Water Treatment Plants.$613,768.00 to GM BluePlan Engineering Limited to provide engineering services for detailed design and services during construction for the Ayr Sewage Pumping Station and Forcemain in Ayr.
- $591,773.00 to Vista Contracting Limited for intersection and other miscellaneous roadway improvements.$527,527.00 to Stantec Consulting Ltd. to provide consulting engineering services for a Class Environmental Assessment, detailed design, contract administration and construction inspection for improvements to Weber Street from Albert Street to Northfield Drive in the City of Waterloo.
- $525,836.00 to Sheridan Electric Services Ltd. for generator replacement at 250 Strasburg Rd in Kitchener.$428,910.00 to G. Melo Excavating Ltd. for storm system improvements, Townline road at Wellington County Road 32 in the City of Cambridge.
- $364,100.00 to 633383 Ontario Inc. o/a Amato & Son for Regional Housing Kitchen replacements.
- $342,336.00 to BluMetric Environmental Inc. of Kitchener to provide consulting services for undertaking the G5 Salt Assessment, Pinebush Well Field in the City of Cambridge.
- $323,242.58 GHD Limited to provide engineering services during the preliminary and detailed design and services during construction for the Waterloo Landfill South Boundary Well Pumphouse and Stormwater Management Pond 3 modifications in the City of Kitchener.
- $258,900 to STM Construction Limited for Hespeler Wastewater Treatment Plant Prefabricated Building and electrical duct banks in the City of Cambridge.
- $206,885.75 to INIT Innovations in Transportation Inc. to support the integration of Grand River Transit's computer-aided dispatch and the automatic Vehicle location system with the Electronic Fare Management System.
- $4.10/m3, $6.98/m3 and $26.30/m3 for biosolids haulage, biosolids land application or disposal and septage lagoon clean out respectively, to Bartels Environmental Services Inc.
Bryan Stortz, Director, Corporate Communications, 519-575-4408
Or the Regional Clerk's Office, 519-575-4420