Frequently Asked Questions

If you still have questions after reading the material below, please contact the Kitchener POA Court at 519-745-9446 or email

What does a Provincial Offences Court do?

The Provincial Offences Court administers and prosecutes offences under the Provincial Offences Act including court support, collecting fines and costs, setting trials, and processing all legal forms in accordance with the POA.

What are provincial offences? 

  • Provincial offences are non-criminal charges, primarily laid by law enforcement agencies such as the Regional Police and OPP and include the following:
  • Highway Traffic Act including speeding, careless driving, or not wearing your seatbelt
  • Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act such as failing to surrender your insurance card
  • Liquor Licence Act such as being intoxicated in a public place or selling alcohol to a minor
  • Municipal By-law infractions such as excessive noise 

What are my options if I receive a certificate of offence?

You must choose one of the following three options within 15 days otherwise you are deemed not to dispute the charge and a guilty plea may be entered in your absence.

Option 1 - Plea of Guilty - Voluntary Payment of Total Payable.   

You are stating that you are guilty and you must pay the total payable at the bottom of your ticket. You can pay the fine in person, through the internet at, by mail, or by telephone at 519-745-9446. Payment can be made by money, credit card, money order, cheque, debit or VISA debit. For your protection, please do not send cash by mail.

Option 2 - Early Resolution - Meet with Prosecutor. 

You can meet with a Prosecutor to discuss the possible resolution of the charge by checking off the box on the ticket and either mailing it or delivering it in person to the court.  You will be sent a meeting notice to the address on file.  You must notify the court if your address changes.

Option 3 - Not Guilty - Trial Option - Do Not Mail. 

If you decide that you are not guilty, and would like a trial, you or your representative, must attend at the court in person to file a Notice of Intention to Appear. You will be notified of your upcoming trial by mail. If you do not appear for trial, you may be convicted in your absence.

Where can I pay my Provincial Offence Notice (ticket)?

You can pay your Provincial Offences ticket at any court location in Ontario.

Why are there two amounts on my ticket?

A victim fine surcharge is levied on every provincial offence act fine. This surcharge is imposed by the Provincial Government and is used to maintain and expand services to victims of crime.

What if I am convicted in absentia?

If you do not choose one of the options within 15 days, you are deemed to have failed to respond and do not wish to dispute the charge. As a result, you may be convicted by a Justice of the Peace and will be required to pay the total payable plus an additional penalty. If you disagree with the conviction, you may request a reopening and if approved by the Justice of the Peace, you will be granted a trial or an early resolution meeting.

What if I don't agree with the outcome of my trial?

If you disagree with the outcome of your trial, you can file an appeal within 30 days of the conviction.  You can obtain the necessary appeal paperwork from the Provincial Offences Court and the paperwork will be filed at the Provincial Courthouse at 85 Frederick Street in Kitchener. You will then be mailed a Notice of Time and Place of Hearing of Appeal for your appeal hearing. Requests for transcripts can be made at the trial court.

What if I decide to exercise option #3 and I am unable to attend my set trial date?

You can attend at the court and file a request for first adjournment or you can file a motion with the court to request an adjournment.

How can I obtain disclosure prior to my early resolution meeting or trial date?

The Prosecutor's Office will provide disclosure which may include a copy of the officer's notes, witness statements, and/or accident reports if they are applicable to your charge. You can obtain disclosure By Telephone - 519-575-4804, Option #1; By Fax - 519-745-4967; or By Email to disclosure@regionofwaterloo.caPlease be sure to include your first and last name, court date and time, early resolution or trial, offence number; your telephone number; or your fax number (if requesting disclosure to be faxed). For general inquiries, email 

What if I receive a roadside summons?

If you receive a summons at the roadside or served on you at a later date, you must attend court on the date and time indicated.  You cannot postpone or reschedule this mandatory court appearance.

Can I meet with a Crown Attorney regarding my summons?

The Crown Attorney holds resolution meetings every Monday (excluding holidays) from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. at 77 Queen Street North, in the City of Kitchener.  Resolution meetings are on a first come, first serve basis.

Why is my driver's licence suspended?

If you fail to pay your fine and the POA offence qualifies for a driver's licence suspension and your fine due date is past, your driver's licence can be suspended. You will be notified of this suspension by the Ministry of Transportation and in order to get your driver's licence back, you will need to pay all the outstanding fines holding it under suspension at any provincial offences court office. You will then have to contact your local MTO Office to inquire about your reinstatement that typically takes 4 to 5 business days and costs $180.00. If your licence is suspended for anything other than unpaid fines, you can contact the Ministry of Transportation directly at 1-800-303-4993.

How can I find more information?

You can consult the Ontario Court of Justice Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases now available on the Ontario Courts Website.

Where can I access Provincial Offences Court Forms?

POA Court forms can be obtained at any Provincial Offences Court in Ontario.  You can also access some of the court forms on the Ontario Court Services website.

What if still require additional information?

Please contact our Provincial Offences Court in the Region of Waterloo by calling 519 745 9446 or by email.