Region of Waterloo General Inquiries

Contact Information for General Inquiries
150 Frederick St., Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3

Phone: 519-575-4400
TTY: 519-575-4608

Map this Location.
Email the Region of Waterloo General Inquiries
Link to Region of Waterloo Home Page

Public Inquiries

Getting Involved

For information on public meetings, forums, symposiums or other activities of interest, we invite you to visit our Public Notices web page.


Staying Current on News & Events

Read our news releases and browse our events calendar on the News and Events web page.


Information Requests

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) gives individuals the right to ask for access to municipal government information. The Act also protects the privacy of an individual's personal information and gives them the right to request their own personal information that may exist in government records.

Personal health records held by Sunnyside Home, Public Health and Emergency Medical Services are regulated by the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA). This Act has a similar process for requesting access to health records.

Here at the Region of Waterloo, we make every effort possible to provide appropriate access to our records. But, in some cases, we cannot give access to certain records or parts of them, because the Act includes some limited protections for information holdings. For example, the Region may be required to protect the rights of another person or organization.

How to ask for access to a record

  1. Many different types of records are posted on our website, so you may find what you are looking for right here! For example, you can find reports and minutes from past Council and Committee meetings, bylaws and much more.
  2. If the information you need is not available online, but you know which Department the record is in, contact that Department directly and ask for access. To get you started, call us at 519-575-4400 and we can point you in the right direction.
  3. If you contact the appropriate Department and learn that you cannot access the record without making a formal request, please call our Manager, Information Management & Archives, Oriana Sharp at 519-575-4006 who will explain the process of making a formal request to you.

Note: You can visit the website of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario (IPC) to learn more about MFIPPA and PHIPA and to download request forms.

Procedure for Filing a Claim against the Region of Waterloo

If you have suffered a loss or damage for which you believe the Region of Waterloo may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below in order for the Region to consider your claim.

You must submit your claim in writing to the Region of Waterloo. This letter can be delivered by email, regular mail, registered mail, in person or by fax.

1. Your letter must contain, as a minimum, the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Phone number(s) where you can be reached
  • Email address and fax number, if available
  • A detailed description of what happened in relation to personal injury, vehicle damage, property damage and so on, including the date, time and location of incident, witnesses' names and addresses and other information that may assist in the investigation of your claim
  • A detailed description of your alleged damages or loss together with copies of all invoices, estimates (if available) or other documentation to support such
  • You must date and sign this claim letter

2. Your letter should be addressed to:


Attn: Clerk's Dept. 2nd Floor

150 Frederick Street,

Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3

Fax: 519-575-4481

Email: or 

3. There may be a limitation period or other procedural timelines that apply to your claim, so you should consult your own legal counsel or insurer as needed.

4. When your claim letter is received by the Clerk's Department at the Region of Waterloo, it will be date stamped at the time of receipt. Your claim will then be forwarded to the Director of the Department involved and to Risk Management for investigation and response. This claim process may take time, so you should consult your own legal counsel or insurer if an immediate response to your claim is required.

5. This procedure does not mean that the Region of Waterloo is accepting liability for your claim, nor does it waive any legal rights that the Region of Waterloo may be able to rely on in matters such as these.