"Making a Difference in our Community"
The Social Services department and its many community partners plan and deliver a variety of human services that sustain individuals and families in Waterloo Region. These services are designed to help residents enhance their participation in the community and ultimately improve their quality of life. For more information on any of the following services call 519-575-4400 or TTY 883-2428 or visit the Social Services site.
Individuals and families will have an enhanced quality of life through integrated, comprehensive services that overcome obstacles and create opportunities.
Social Services is a leader in planning, delivering and advocating for responsive and innovative human services.
- Develops and delivers local early learning child care system
- Coordinates and integrates government and inter-agency initiatives including facilitating new programs, services and quality assurance
- Provides financial support for assistance to eligible families with child care costs
- Operatives five Children's Centres and a licensed Home Child Care program and has service contracts with other Children's Centres and Home Child Care agencies across the region
- Operates an Infant Development program that provides intervention services for young children with special needs.
Employment & Income Support
- Provides ongoing and emergency financial assistance under the Ontario Works Act to cover the costs of food, shelter and clothing.
- Offers Discretionary Benefits as additional financial assistance for such items as vision, dental and medical services.
- Assists with Family Support to sole support parents to receive the child support for which they are eligible.
- Full Service Employment Ontario provider
- Three Employment Resource Centre locations provide a centralized source of employment services and training information and a link to community services for persons seeking work or training.
- Operates Sunnyside Home, a not-for-profit long term care home, with 251 residents, accredited by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation. Offers 10 convalescent care beds, two respite care beds, Supportive Housing and a Seniors' Wellness Centre. This campus is actively supported by volunteers.
- Provides nursing and medical care, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, dietary consultation, social work, pastoral care, recreation and music therapy.
- Home-cooked meals at the public cafe, personal laundry and housekeeping services. A gift shop, room rentals with catering, hairdressing and a community recreation therapy program.
- Offers community programs including: Alzheimer day program, evening and overnight stay programs.
Social Planning, Policy and Program Administration
- Provides planning, research and evaluation leadership for Social Services.
- Provides direct support to the community, analyzing social trends, development of social policy responses, undertaking social planning and system modelling
- Administers agreements and social development grants.
- Delivers programs supporting homeless to housing stability, the integration of federal and provincial initiatives.