Weed Control

The Region has four Area Weed Inspectors responsible for acting on complaints from the public regarding noxious weeds. The inspectors have the authority to request that the property owner eradicate the weeds. Failure to do so may result in the weeds being destroyed and associated costs billed to the property owner.  The Region has also created a brochure to give you some more information on weed control and noxious weeds.

Noxious weeds

Below is a list of Noxious Weeds as defined in the Weed Control Act.  Each type of weed is linked to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) website.  The OMAFRA site contains information on common names, current status, growth habit, methods of control and photos.  You will leave the Region of Waterloo Website when you click on the links. 

Only weeds listed above are deemed to be "noxious."

Note:  Milkweed is no longer classified as a noxious weed. 

If you have concerns about weeds such as dandelions or unkempt properties, please contact the property standards section of your local municipality.

 For a copy of the Weed Control Act, please go to the Province of Ontario website.

To contact the Region about noxious weeds, or to contact an Area Weed Inspector  please call  519-575-4400.

Guide to weed control<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />


Weed Identification


Herbicide Selector


Field Crop News


Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA)