Commissioner of Oaths

Commissioning of oaths will be offered by appointment only. Please contact Regional Clerk's office and someone will contact you within one business day. 


Document Commissioning

The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act empowers municipal clerks and other officials to take various types of declarations and to administer oaths.

A commissioner for taking affidavits (also known as commissioner of oaths) is not the same as a notary public. A commissioner has authority only to administer oaths and take affidavits. 

Please refer to the tabs below which outlines the documents the Region of Waterloo clerks staff can and cannot commission.


The fee for commissioning a document is $25 payable via debit/credit.

Commissioning process

  • Appointments for Commissioner services are available Monday to Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. 
  • The person signing the affidavit must show government issued identification that contains a current photo and a signature, such as a valid driver's licence. You are required to sign in the presence of the commissioner.
  • The Clerk or designate will first review the document to determine if the document meets their specification. We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document. 
 Documents the Region CAN Commission

• Regional Business

• Appointment of Special Constable

• Affidavit for lost Outdoors Card

• Amendment to Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate

• Delayed statement of live birth

• Immunization Exemption forms

• Domestic and Foreign Pension documents (proof of life)

• Proof of residency (owner/tenant letters)

• Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship hours

• Legal Name Change forms

• Statutory Declaration by a person for change of sex designation

• Canadian Citizenship Forms

• Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report #)

• Sworn statement for the transfer of a used motor vehicle in the province of Ontario

• Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal - Affidavits

• Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common-Law Status, Supporting Children

• Statutory Declaration of theft of a HST Cheque or Federal Cheque

• Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle (boards, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers, etc...)

• Statutory Declaration for Motor Vehicle Deals Compensation Fund

 Documents the Region CANNOT Commission

• Notary Public Documents

• Estate settlement documents, Wills/Cert- Of Appt. of Est. Trustee without Will

• Divorce, Separation, Marriage or Cohabitation Agreements

• Litigation Guardian Affidavit

• Power of Attorney

• Mining Claim Forms or Transfers for the Province

• Transferring of Un-Patented Mining Claims

• Exposure Device Operator

• Custody Documents

• Documents involving debts - Bankruptcy

• Real Estate related documents

• Court, Legal or Civil Issue related documents

• Declaration of Claimant and Indemnity (bank form re: estates) & replacement of shares

• Statutory Declaration of Progress payment Holdback Security Deposit

• Statement of Arrears

• Tender Documents

• Declaration of Translator

• Age of Majority or BYID Card Application

• Certified True Copies

• Ontario Mortgage Corporation documents

• Travel Affidavit

• Affidavit of a Lost Cheque 

For documents not included above, please contact a notary public, or lawyer.

Affidavits to be filed in court proceedings (e.g. Small Claims Court, Family Court or civil court) may be sworn before a court official authorized to take affidavits where the documents are to be filed. Often a fee is required.

More information about commissioner of oaths and notary public can be found on the Ministry of the Attorney General's website

If you have any questions, please contact the Regional Clerk's office.

Contact Us