Help Paying for Child Care

Without help to pay for it, many families cannot afford quality child care. The Region of Waterloo's Child Care Subsidy program helps parents pay for care so that they can go to work or school knowing their children are well cared for. 

As COVID-19 recovery continues, Community Services is re-opening its Welcome Spaces and resuming in-person service. However, things look a little different as we work together to stay healthy. Find out what you should know before you visit.

Who is eligible
You may be eligible if you live in Waterloo Region and
  • Your child is 12 years old or younger
  • You are the parent or legal guardian
  • You are working, going to school or have a child with special needs
  • Your income meets the requirements

Complete the online calculator to find out if you might be eligible and how much you may qualify for.

How to apply

Before you start your application, check out the calculator to see if you may qualify.


Please apply for Child Care Subsidy nine weeks before your child(ren) start child care. If you apply too early, you may need to apply again closer to your child's start date. Looking for a child care space? Explore the options and apply online.


You will need to submit the following documents when you apply: 

To verify your income

  • All pages of your most recent Federal Notice of Assessment Form (NOA) or Reassessment Form plus verification of Universal Child Care Benefit payments; or
  • Most recent Canada Child Tax Benefit Notice (CCTB); or 
  • Ontario Child Benefit Notice (OCB).

To verify your employment

  • One month’s pay stubs, and a copy of one month’s work schedule; or
  • For new employment, a letter from the employer on letterhead that shows the start date of employment and the days and hours of work.

To verify the birthdates of all family members

  • Birth certificate/statement of live birth, passport, certificate of adoption, citizenship card, driver’s license
  • If born outside of Canada, you can provide a Permanent Resident Card, Canadian Citizenship Card, or immigration documents with the date of arrival for all family members.

To verify your address

  • Mortgage statement; or
  • Property tax statement; or
  • Lease agreement; or
  • Rent receipt with address on the receipt; or
  • Letter from landlord; or
  • Driver’s license.

Other documents

  • If applicable, a copy of your divorce or separation agreement or court order.

Apply for subsidy

Appeal a decision
If you disagree with a decision that's been made about your Child Care Subsidy eligibility or payment, you can request a review by an impartial third party. This applies to the following: 
  • You apply and are determined to be ineligible; or
  • Your subsidy payments are lowered or cancelled.
To request a review, call 519-575-4400 or you can complete the Internal Review Form.
Useful links

Did you know? You can claim the Ontario Childcare Tax Credit to help cover the cost of child care and camps.

Contact Us