Submit a Claim

If you have suffered a loss or damage for which you believe the Region of Waterloo may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below in order for the Region to consider your claim.
You must submit your claim in writing to the Region of Waterloo. This letter can be submitted online, by email, regular mail, registered mail, in person or by fax.

1. Your letter must contain, as a minimum, the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Phone number(s) where you can be reached
  • Email address and fax number, if available
  • A detailed description of what happened in relation to personal injury, vehicle damage, property damage and so on, including the date, time and location of incident, witnesses' names and addresses and other information that may assist in the investigation of your claim
  • A detailed description of your alleged damages or loss together with copies of all invoices, estimates (if available) or other documentation to support such
  • You must date and sign this claim letter (electronically is acceptable)
  • Submission of a Construction Lien 
    • certified or registered mail 
    • served in a manner permitted under the rules of court 
    • by email 

2. Your letter/ Lien should be addressed to:

Attn: Clerk's Dept. 2nd Floor
150 Frederick Street,
Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3
Fax: 519-575-4481

3. There may be a limitation period or other procedural timelines that apply to your claim, so you should consult your own legal counsel or insurer as needed. 

4. When your claim letter is received by the Clerk's Department at the Region of Waterloo, it will be date stamped at the time of receipt. Your claim will then be forwarded to the Director of the Department involved and to Risk Management for investigation and response. This claim process may take time, so you should consult your own legal counsel or insurer if an immediate response to your claim is required.

5. This procedure does not mean that the Region of Waterloo is accepting liability for your claim, nor does it waive any legal rights that the Region of Waterloo may be able to rely on in matters such as these.

Online Claim Form


Contact Us